Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Outlier Slim Dungarees Review: Great Commuter and Urban Pants

In Dec., 2011, I bought a pair of Outlier Slim Dungarees, tailored in NYC out of Workcloth Doubleweave Canvas--and they are simply terrific. In fact, when the first pair in Black arrived, they fit so great, wore so well on the ride to work in the cold and then looked and felt great all day at work, that my wife suggested I get another pair before they were no longer available--which I did immediately! She is a trouper! So I also have a pair in Indigo Blue, and they continue to be the pants I reach for first for just about any activity, in any weather.

They are designed for cycling and other similar activities, fit slim but not skinny, move with you, and resist water and stains with NanoSphere® treated to emulate the self-cleaning capabilities of a lotus leaf. I found the fit right on. The outer fabric feels tough and has a nice texture but is not stiff at all, and the inside is soft and smooth. They resist wrinkling and can be worn multiple times between washings. Again, I am not very hard on clothes, but after a year of relatively frequent use they still look new.

I am so pleased when slacks are offered in odd number sizes, since I wear 33 in most cases, but the inseam is one size fits all--32.5 to 32.5, so be prepared to wait to have enjoy your new pants when they arrive until washed and hemmed, unless, of course, you wear 32.5! (If your taller than that, I suppose you're out of luck.) No one carries these in my part of the country, and few places beyond that, so one most likely will have to decide what to order without trying on a pair--that is not perfect when dealing with this kind of product at this kind of price, and it does not support the local shops either. They have a good exchange/refund policy, but, well, who wants the hassle if it can be avoided? But customer service was great when I called to talk about sizing, especially since I was uncertain how much they stretched (they signal a slight two way stretch, made of 82% Nylon, 16% Polyester, 2% Elastane). My normal size fit perfectly. No cinching tight required as in most 34's, not too tight like when choosing 32. And they don't seem to stretch out of size with several days wear.

I find that although the leg tapers down nicely, that I still wear a leg band just to be sure that they stay clean and don't get caught in the chain. When it is colder than 40F, I slip a base layer on beneath them and have not been cold until below 20F, when an outer layer is also called for.

One beef--I mean suggestion... Call me crazy, but I don't get the jean style fifth pocket styling of these, like so many pants available today. I have small hands and fingers and still can't fish change out of these pockets. Am I the only one who would prefer a slightly larger pocket (not a giant cargo one) that can actually carry something, like today's car keys (any keys for that matter), or a cell phone? At the same time, the regular front pockets are full size, and can handle what I usually need to carry for the commute and at school: a small wallet and cell phone, keys, reading glasses, and a golfer's pencil (of course, because you never know when that might be needed!).

Bottom line, these are expensive, but well made and will last many, many years for many, many different uses, including activities like cycling, golfing, and the unplanned but sure want to get in a run right now and not just a walk, or for just sitting down on whatever, wherever you find yourself thereafter. Some shorts like this would be nice--well, not immediately, it's freezing here!

Update on Jan. 18, 2015: still look and work like new after 3 years of primary choice for all kinds of activities, including travel in summer for conferences (work well with a sport coat) and sightseeing.

For more formal occasions as well as the same kinds of casual ones for which I now usually choose the dungarees, I should briefly mention the OG Pants in Black I've been wearing since 2010 (they have been since modified as the New OG Pants). The styling is dressier; they feel and work great too, but with a wider leg style, and with Schoeller Dryskin fabric with Nanosphere treatment against stains and water, which is terrific to the touch and tough enough to handle anything, including several wears between washes without wrinkling, so they are great for cycling and travel too. As for the cut, I had to have them tailored; they are ("were"; I am not sure if this is still the case with redesign) much bigger in the hips and bottom for my waist size than the dungarees.

One more thing to add: I recently took advantage of a free shipping for the holidays offer to purchase a Merino/Co Pivot Shirt in Blacktint, and an Air Forged Oxford in Navy. Both are very attractive, but I haven't put them through their paces yet. I am hoping both travel well and will cover several days at conferences or seminars in the US and abroad. I hope that these two shirts, with one of the pairs of pants discussed, with a second pair for backup and travel days, combined with a few merino layers, will keep packing for most activities simple and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment